Llangefni RFC | 2nd Team 22 - 24 Menai Bridge RFC | 1st Team

Match Report
29 December 2018 / Team News

Match report: Llangefni 2nds 22 - 24 Menai Bridge

This was a long awaited derby for Bridge, who had not had a league fixture since the 1st of December. Bridge started with a prolonged period of pressure on the home side, as their forwards pushed towards the line. A sudden change of tactics released the ball to fly half Dion McGrath who feigned his way over the line and converted his own try. Llangefni raised their game and were rewarded with a penalty. Bridge continued to exert pressure on the Llangefni line and, where the forwards failed to breach the defence, Pat Roberts left his wing to crash through the centre for a try. McGrath's conversion took the score to 3-14. Llangefni rallied and began to dominate possession. Their reward came with a try for their lively number eight, which was converted to close the half at 10-14.


After the interval Llangefni continued with their possession game and veteran winger Iwan Davies scored a fine try, dancing through the Bridge defence to give Cefni the lead for the first time. Bridge responded by gaining territory and a missed penalty was soon followed by a push over try as the Bridge scrum accelerated towards the line rounded off by eight Chris Roberts who dotted down. Reliable McGrath converted and soon followed the score with a penalty, putting Bridge 9 points ahead with the clock ticking down. Cefni worked their way upfield and a clever kick through towards the post was chased down by one defender and three Cefni attackers. The referee judged that the defender failed to exert pressure on the ball and a Llangefni hand touched down for a try that was improved to 7 points. With the score at 22 -24 Bridge managed to hold on to the lead for the final two minutes and were very relieved to hear the final whistle.

Players Fixture player info not published.

There doesn't appear to be any tagged photos.

Upload and Tag Photos